Friday, September 14, 2007

First Day of Training Camp?

Do the Penguins really start training camp today?
If you aren't excited, we can't help you.

Here's the most extensive Penguin season preview you'll see [ Faceoff Factor ]
They asked us to write up something. Of course, we cover the jobbers.
Pat from [ Doubtaboutit ] contributed a solid piece.

Thanks again to Faceoff Factor for asking us to contribute.

....................................................

April 19 10:58pm --
The last time anything mattered.

It still feels like we just lost Game 5 yesterday.



..................................................................

Cheer up, Jordan. You're playing in the Ice Bowl, bitch. [ Yahoo ]

Plus, it's a shame we gave out the Jobber of the Week Award yesterday.
Yahoo would've nabbed it today.


This pic was on the front of the Yahoo NHL page.
Quick, succumb to the teaser and click the story to read about the Pens.
Too bad there was nothing in there about them.

......................................................

The Buffalo Sabres have been jobbing their new jersey around.
You know where to go for that news.

They had a photoshoot, which included the mascot.
Wow, that's gay. Nice pants.



We brought in our resident expert to confirm the homoness.


"Yeah, that's pretty gay."

Speaking of Ben, we have some NFL news.
By NFL news, we mean someone jobbing Rothlisturder.

Ryan Wilson from NFL Fanhouse is now up there with the likes of Ron Newcomer.
[ FanHouse ]

In a post that documents Hines Ward and Deshea Townsend rehashing how the Patriots were one step ahead in the 2001 AFC Championship Game, Wilson finished with this sentence:

" By the way, it's worth noting that none of the Steelers blamed the Patriots for the 2004 AFC Championship beatdown. That loss falls squarely on Big Ben's shoulders. "


WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

............................................................

NHL 08 Blog

Commentor demondg1

We're getting reports that Gary Roberts' aggression rating on the game is only 80.
Ryan Whitney's aggression rating is 81.
Gary Roberts eats Whitney's lunch for him.

Cdubbs dropped us an e-mail, saying if you watch the NHL 08 victory (HD) video on IGN.com, at the 00:54 mark, a Penguin defenseman has the name "LEDOUCHE" below it.
We did some detective work.

Screen one is 3 seconds before the alleged sighting:


The shot in question


As you can clearly see, it does say "LEDOUCHE"
That was clearly just for this video, because it is not in the game.

Moving on.

First person to send us a screenshot of Roberts dominating on NHL 08 gets to name this blog whatever they want for a day (within reason).
We're serious.
  • Goal celebrations don't count.
  • Standing around doesn't count.
thepensblog@gmail.com

It may just be the pixelation talking,
but the Blues away jersey looks pretty sharp on NHL 08.



Want a gallery of every jersey from NHL 08? [ NHLToL ]

If you have the game. Enter this code...

h3oyxpwksf8ibcgt

...to unlock all the RBK jerseys for PS3/XBOX 360 [ Gamespot ]


In review of the game.
It is worth the money for any platform you enjoy.
The detail of the game is simply amazing.
The rosters are a bit of an issue, but a roster update will be along, as it always is.
Don't get caught up in the PS3 frame-rate issue, either. Ours works flawlessly for PS3.
XBOX is solid as well.

Martin Havlat and Evgeni Malkin are unstoppable at times.

.................................................................

Don K. Show found an exclusive photo of Gary Roberts on Pens season-ticket delivery day.


Two seconds later, one of these people was covered in feces.

Everyone aware of the Dallas Stars billboard marketing scheme for this year?


Alex Carroll sent this one in for the Pens:


.............................................................

Newsblog

Former anchor of KDKA Ray Tannehill passed away. [ KDKA.com ]


Big-time journalist in the late '80s and early '90s.
You knew you were in good hands when All Day Ray Tannehill was burning up the teleprompter.

R.I.P.

..............................................................



The best thing about the internet is that if we miss something in an e-mail,
the URL is there waiting for us.

Really solid read. Apologies to Jimmy for the late mention.


One can only hope she utilizes the neutral zone trap in the bedroom.
Whatever that means.

..........................................................



OPENING FACEOFF COUNTDOWN


Steve in Denver brings us Mike Bullard.
Former Pens captain.

#21
There's only one choice.

Have a nice weekend and enjoy Pens camp.

24 comments:

Jeffry said...

ok, just played nhl 08 for a couple hours, yeah, not that good. back to nhl 2k8 for me.

vakfan said...

look at Elias´right eye. It was her.

Loser Chris said...

Gamespot? I posted the RBK Edge code here before they had it up. Is this Tocchet payback or something? j/k

You guys are right though, NHL 08 is worth every penny. Especially once you start to get the controls down.

Staff said...

Chris, newcomer released that code two years ago

Loser Chris said...

Does that mean he's to blame for the new jerseys?

Teej said...

I have NHL 06 and 07, and honestly, there really isn't much difference between the two, other than Crosby and Ovechkin being in the latter, so I don't know if I'll get NHL 08 or not. I've been playing ESPN NHL Hockey (from 2003 I think) the past few nights... solid game. I compare it to being the NHL 94 for the PS2 (though I should be careful, the two can't even be compared really). Gary Thorne and Bill Clement are legendary, and always will be

The ~D said...

If you played NHL 07 then you have a leg up. The skill stick is a little tough to get used to, but once you get the hang of it you'll dominate. I FINALLY started to figure out how to play D last night. Fun game...about as close to the real thing as you can get.

snoopyjode said...

ooooooh. it (finally) feels like a new season is about to start!!! i'm rocking my pens polo at work today in honor of the start of training camp, the penguins/sabres rivalry between me and my supervisor is about to pick up some serious steam, and in just over a week, the pens will be in boot camp at west point (i can't wait to hear how that goes this year!!!): the anticipation is killing me.

don k. show, the kilgore photoshop was the best i've seen in ages!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah I played the demo of NHL08 last night. Wasn't that impressed. I may checkout NHL2k8 instead and see what that is like before I make a decision.

On a side note, hevanly sword is the most beautiful game I have ever played, hands down.

For any ps3 owners, I would suggest this game. Nothing ground breaking gameplay wise. But the game has top notch production value. Plus I get to fight smeagol.

Anonymous said...

did the media friends of the steelers (all pittsburgh news stations)have anything about the penguins starting training camp today?

serious question.

also, i plan on buying 2008. i havent bought an NHL game since 2002 when mario was on it.

-Jay

Ashley said...

Hey guys, great site - I LOVE the humour! I'm gonna add a link to your blog on my site, if that's okay. :)

Joshua said...

The Fighting Dogs Pic is legendary.
"Whatever a thrasher is" haha

keep up the solid work guys

Don K. Show said...

jode, thanks. I just wish that I could have made it bigger.

I gotta save that Roberts fingerpoint shot (minus all the surrounding crap) for future use.

Hooks Orpik said...

Compliantblog: Mark Eaton rated a 69 overall in NHL08? I'm glad they let you edit that. I bumped him up to a much more reasonable 99 overall rating.

Also, I don't like that Laraque is a 70 overall and Bonvie is a 71.

And why do I have to year after year manually cut guys not on the team like Petro, Melichar, Kiwi, etc. They have Eric Cairns in the opening night lineup of Mark Eaton for Christ's sake.

/compliantblog

Thanks for the link, pensblog, i'm glad you liked it. My blog isn't updated daily like yours and isn't as funny or nearly as powerful; but if Pens fans occasionally stumble to it and enjoy it, that's enough for me.

demondg1 said...

Good Christ is Mrs. Elias hot.

Steve In Denver said...

Props for putting up the Bullard pic. He was solid.

I have to wait until Oct 10 for EA08 on PS2. Drag.
I've been playing NHL2k6 for a while. It's spooky...the Crosby I created has scored 2 flying-airbore goals so far. It's like they "knew" or something.
The Malkin I added doesn't fall down at random, though, like in real life. If they put that in EA08, someone needs to get a screen shot of that!

Barrasso35 said...

I just got this e-mail from my Godfather, who lives in Pittsburgh:

"It wasn't easy but we have 4 tickets for Sunday Feb 10 @ 1pm against the Flyers!"

To that I respond, "Godfather, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your home on your daughter...'s wedding... on the day of your daughter's wedding... And my their first child be a masculine child."

Oh yes, my friends. If nothing else, I'll get to see the Penguins destroy the Flyers on February 10th.

I'm so fucking excited I dusted off the ol' Barrasso PITTSBURGH jersey today.

THIS RIOT JOB IS GOING ON TOUR!

Now if I can just get tickets for my mom and me to attend the Islanders and Kings games when I call the Penguins tomorrow, I'll be good to go.

Drop the puck.

Anonymous said...

"Free agent acquisition Petr Sykora got a hole in one at the team's annual golf tournament."

i'm thinking this is a sign that hes gonna fit well in pittsburgh
-JK

Jeffry said...

oh yeah, nhl 2k8 has AHL rosters. nhl08 has NOTHING. i officially hate nhl08 now.

The Hebrew Hammer said...

I just hope I can get some single game tickets tomorrow...

FritoWill said...

not on the same gamer subject, but i got a code for the Call of Duty 4 Beta, holy crap is it awesome!!!!

Don K. Show said...

Elias looks like he's about 5' 5" in that pic. Not that I should talk since I'm a towering 5' 7", or 5' 9" with skates.

I might be away for the weekend, so I'm gonna put my suggestion for #19 out there early.

When you think scars, you think Vladimir Vujtek (and his one assist in a Penguin uniform.)

The ~D said...

NHL 08 has AHL rosters. You can play as any AHL team either in practice mode or part of a dynasty.

Jeffry said...

when i pick minor league management in the dynasty mode its just the players they have on the pro side and thats it

Disclaimer

We are in no way affiliated with the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League.

In accordance with the Fair Use Copyright Law, The Pensblog uses logos and registered trademarks of the National Hockey League to convey our criticism and inform the public.

Photos on The Pensblog are used without permission but do not interfere with said owner's profit.

If you own a specific image on this site and want it removed, please e-mail us (thepensblog@gmail.com) and we will be happy to oblige.

wooo