Friday, July 20, 2007

First things first.
This Day In History.

July 20, 1969.
Gary Roberts sets foot on the moon.
His mere presence on the moon causes a shift in the tides of the Atlantic Ocean.

You talk segues...

Gary Roberts fans can now convene in a Facebook Group. Here.

................................................

Be Like Tike brings you "A Day in the Life of Sidney Crosby."

...........................


Big news out of Alexei Yashin's camp.


This little homo gets his wish.

Alexei Yashin could not find a deal he liked in the NHL.
So he has headed back to Russia to play for Locomotiv.
Good move.
Not.

Another player moving overseas is our old friend Petr Nedved.


Always remembered for a goal he scored at 2:23 in the morning.

...................................

With the biggest crowd to grace the Arena since a Good Charlotte concert in '04,
the Predators held a rally to keep the team in Nashville.


What a joke of a mascot.
No one even knows what exactly a Predator is.
But odds are they don't carry drums around.

.........................


The Islanders are falling apart.

In the publicity stunt of the millennium, Al Arbour will come back and sign a one-day contract on November 2, 2007, to coach one game -- his 1,500th as head coach of the Islanders.

One of the games on his docket that doesn't count in that career total was played on May 14, 1993, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Who are the Islanders playing for Arbour's one game?
The Penguins.


Me not happy.

Ten Nolan jokes were funny once upon a time.
They aren't funny anymore. But that isn't stopping us.

...................

-- FINALLY --

Just when we think we've touched every corner of the internet in regards to Penguin pictures and fanpages, a random site comes out of nowhere and bangs our girlfriends.

We're proud to forward everyone to:

Todd's Pittsburgh Penguins Home Page

What a site.
If you're like us, you download any old-school Pens photos you find on the internet.
You'd rather trust the .jpeg on your hard drive instead of on some 1982 Geocities page that could disappear tomorrow.
Some solid pics on the site.

The best part?
The long-awaited MIKE LANGE .WAV FILES.

..........................................

A Winter in the Sun
Game #50
February 1, 2007
WHAT A GAME.
The Habs and the Hab-Nots. PENS WIN.


5 - 4


You could tell this game was going to be chippy, as the Habs came out trying to be bad dudes.



Right off the opening face-off, you had to feel that this game was gonna be interesting.
Crosby takes a knob to the face, and his eyes glaze over.

Commentorblog:

Adrienne said...

Jobber is an awesome word. I just don't want to see it used-out like "Shot and a DRIVE!" from the Playoffs last season. Dear lord that got tired right quick.

I was on the edge of my seat for the shootout. Oh my god. It was the "No way in fuck did I stay up until 3.30am to hear us lose this game in the SO." Then winning it had me cheering enough to make my neighbor pound on the wall. Whoops.

We're amazing right now, and I'm literally crying that I can't actually see any of these games.

And what the hell exactly happened with the whole Instigator/minor/major/misconduct incident?

Christenson is amazing in the SO, Crosby is 0 for 7, and I'd let Mark Eaton do me into next week. Thank god he's back.

What a commentor.

..............................................



Day Number


It was meant to be.

38 comments:

John Tarbett said...

A facebook group about Gary Roberts. Christmas has come early.

wilsmith said...

I probably started typing first, but someone will finish before me.

First, that slow-ass head-bob move malkin did in the shootout is automatic. I do it all the time on my ice hockey team, never fails. But then again, I'm not playing against professional goalies.

Second, I know jobber is toosed around a lot here, but does everyone know it's actually a pro-wrestling term?

wilsmith said...

heh, I said toosed when I meant to say tossed. That's funny.

Stanley P. Kachowski said...

Holy Hell.

I was looking for the 'Page Last Updated in 1997' note at the bottom of that Pens page. That reminds me of the internet circa my freshman year in college. Blinking text. 2-tone color schemes. Solid stuff.

Stanley P. Kachowski said...

wilsmith, we all know you meant tossed.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

tjand72 said...

Watching that video almost makes me cry. I miss hockey. October can't come fast enough.

Anonymous said...

didn't you guys have the new uniforms up? Where did they go

wilsmith said...

I'm so sad the "Nedved Zone" link doesn't work. that was heartbreaking

thepensblogderek said...

Yea we had the uni's up but the Pens emailed us and asked us nicley to take it down.

snoopyjode said...

...and by "nicely" do you mean "threatened legal action-ly"? well, i guess that means they were the real thing. how unfortunate, as they seemed a bit uninspired to me. they weren't awful, but they weren't very different, either. the new pants, however, are SOLID. those i liked.

say what you want about the preds' mascot: it's stupid, but there's not a mascot out there that's stupider than the altoona curve's "steamer" - yeah, that's supposed to be a fucking locomotive car that has a fucking pet "diesel dawg". lame.

Mike Costa said...

Thanks For Linking My Facebook Group To The Site. Also I Knew Jobber Was A Wrestling Term Long Before Pensblog, I Use To Call Other Kids In School Jobbers

BurghGuy said...

Christensen should celebrate goals more often.

Don K. Show said...

snoopy, it could be worse. There could be a Cleveland team using the Steamer as their mascot. Imagine trying to explain that mascot to somebody without laughing. Can't be done.

Don K. Show said...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=172769156

Not sure if it's anybody on here, but there's also a Gary Roberts Myspace fan page

Jonny V said...

This off-season could not end fast enough, but on the news that MTV's The State is finally coming on a DVD box set, the wait will not be so bad. And if you don't know what i'm talking about, you are a joke. Or too young. One of those two.

Stanley P. Kachowski said...

BurghGuy said...

Christensen should celebrate goals more often.

7/21/2007 1:13 AM

I'm all for that, burghguy. I say the % of goals he celebrates after should stay the same, but the # of goals scored should increase, thereby he will celebrate goals more often. It's win win.

I felt a bit like Russell Crowe in a Beautiful Mind right there. It's like the numbers jumped out of the box score and came together right in front of me.



*tongue in cheek, y'all*

snoopyjode said...

touche, don k! (actually, some of the kids i know already call him "cleveland" - ha ha)

anyhoo, i think the guy inside the costume SERIOUSLY hates his life because he can be such a D-I-C-K. granted, i haven't been to a curve game in a couple of years, but whoever was inside the "steamer" at the last game i went to was being a complete douche. he was doing stupid crap. for instance, one little toddler was afraid of him but he wouldn't leave her alone until she began what can only be described as shrieking like a banshee. and then, i can't remember why, but for some reason practically everyone was eating peanuts. there were bags of peanut shells everywhere, and steamer was walking up and down the aisles picking up the bags of empty shells and throwing them at the fans. he even picked up one bag and dumped it directly onto a man's head a few rows over from us.

if that had been me, i would have pulled the head off that trainwreck of a train car costume and popped him right in the mouth. i know mascots are supposed to be "funny" and "mischievous," but dumping trash on someone's head and making little kids cry on purpose should earn a serious ass whooping.

Adrienne said...

ROFL! I forget my own comments. Too funny. Granted, I'm still upset about missing the entire second half of the season, playoffs, and cup. SIGH! But it's okay, I'll be at the camp opener third year and running :D

Must say though, Chelsea is gonna crush the LA Galaxy tonight! YAY! :D

Tiffany said...

Adrienne, there are no words.....*clapping*


Wilsmith, the whole "toosed" thing was so cute. ;-)


[to Nashville's mascot]
What the hell ARE you?
&
You're one ugly mother f**ker!

Jason said...

sudden death is on usa! howard baldwins greatest achievement

Loser Chris said...

Holy crap, The State is finally coming on DVD?!?!?! I'm gonna dip my balls in it!!!!!! (If you have to ask, you'll never know)

vspada said...

Nasreddine signed a 1-year, two way contract.

FritoWill said...

watching sudden death reminds me of the good ole days!!!!

Jonny V said...

loserchris, Captain Monterrey Jack said what's up...

kristin said...

wilsmith...i had to click on the nedved zone too. even though the link was gone, the fact that it existed at all is priceless!

wilsmith said...

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed that it doesn't go anywhere... but think about what could have possibly been on a "nedved zone" page.

Loser Chris said...

jonny,

You want to help me eat $240 worth of puddin'?

wilsmith said...

Oh yeah, so who's watching the big soccer game tonight?

Don K. Show said...

Big soccer game? You mean the game where ESPN has shown Beck Spice standing on the sideline scratching his bag? What a waste.

Don K. Show said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Don K. Show said...

Beck Spice loses the warm up jersey around the 77 min mark and doesn't enter the game until the 78 min. Gary Roberts would have been in the game, bagged Posh, scored a hat trick, downed a drink from the vendor in section 120, and went back to midfield by the 78th min. Now you know why I hate soccer.

Tiffany said...

Beck Spice....hahaha.

wilsmith said...

Yeah dude, that's the one.

The Cosmos thinks this is a lame attempt to popularize soccer in the US.

Jonny V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonny V said...

Barry baby, Barry baby, you see what I got here? What u got there? Why this is a box of puddin' Barry. What does it say? It says cook, and chill...and baby, that's what i do every night. I cook. And then I chilllll

Loser Chris said...

I'm outta he he heeeeeere...

Jonny V said...

Yeah dad, u just wanna ship me off to grandma's so she can teach me pinochle and make me bland...


Cook, and Chill...

Adrienne said...

Beck Spice loses the warm up jersey around the 77 min mark and doesn't enter the game until the 78 min. Gary Roberts would have been in the game, bagged Posh, scored a hat trick, downed a drink from the vendor in section 120, and went back to midfield by the 78th min. Now you know why I hate soccer.

Beckham only made his appearance to shut up the media. The issue with it is the guy is fucking washed up. I don't know why the guy is even still playing football.

Chelsea on the other hand didn't play anywhere near as well as I thought they would have. The entire first half was just lacking on both sides. I started screaming at the tv when they lost the goal due to being offsides. /mad++

Football aside, hockey needs to start :( I'm still pissed I lost my seat due to being out of the country /cry+++

Disclaimer

We are in no way affiliated with the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League.

In accordance with the Fair Use Copyright Law, The Pensblog uses logos and registered trademarks of the National Hockey League to convey our criticism and inform the public.

Photos on The Pensblog are used without permission but do not interfere with said owner's profit.

If you own a specific image on this site and want it removed, please e-mail us (thepensblog@gmail.com) and we will be happy to oblige.

wooo