Friday, September 22, 2006
The Penguins are rolling out the brown carpet tonight as they kick off another season of hockey at the Mellon Arena. Tonight's pre-season game against the Capitals (7:30 PM) will not be on the radio or television. Crosby is not dressing for tonight's game, either.
When we talk about the Capitals, the following topics cannot be ignored:
- The flocks of Pens fans making the trip to Washington for playoff games.
- The Penguins' dominance: 6 playoff series wins in 7 tries (since 1991).
- Randy Gilhen jumping on as an extra attacker during a delayed penalty call and scoring late in Game 2 of the 1991 Patrick Division Finals to tie the game up at 6. Kevin Stevens ended up winning the game in overtime.
- 1/26/92 - Ron Hogarth, esteemed NHL referee, hands out game misconducts to Lemieux, Stevens and Jagr in a 6-4 loss at Washington.
- Down three games to one in the 1992 Patrick Division Semi-Finals, The Pens come roaring back to force (and win) a Game 7.
- 4/24 - 25/96 - EPIC GAME. Petr Nedved scores with 45 seconds remaining in the 4th overtime of Game 4 to tie the series at two. Mario Lemieux had slashed Todd Krygier earlier and received a game misconduct. Lemieux spent the overtime periods setting up food for the players between periods. The Pens eventually win the series in six games.
The look on Sergei Gonchar's face is priceless.
- 2001 - The Pens ride Johan Hedberg's sterling goaltending past the Capitals in six games.
- Future: Ovechkin vs. Crosby/Malkin. Game 7. Eastern Conference Finals.
In accordance with the Fair Use Copyright Law, The Pensblog uses logos and registered trademarks of the National Hockey League to convey our criticism and inform the public.
Photos on The Pensblog are used without permission but do not interfere with said owner's profit.
If you own a specific image on this site and want it removed, please e-mail us (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will be happy to oblige.
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.